Hypothyrodism is a condition in which the thyroid gland does no produce enough thyroid hormone. And in a 2011 study, about 8% of women over 50 and men over 65 in UK suffers from an under-active thyroid.
Today we have Doctor Kevin, author of the Hypothyroid diet and a thyroid specialist, to share with you more about his new book “The HypoThyroid Diet: Lose Weight and Beat Fatigue in 21 Days”, and share with you how you can get rid of hypothyrodism and lose weight too.
1. What drives you to write “The HypoThyroid Diet”? Can you tell us why you come up with this title?
In february 2010 my wife Amy had her thyroid removed, after it was removed is when they found CANCER. Follow up care included hormone replacement therapy, but it didn’t work. She was so beat-down with fatigue should couldn’t get out of bed in the morning – nor make it through her day at work, she couldn’t even play with our kids. I needed to help my wife…so, I did research, went to seminars, consulted with other doctors, and came up with a natural treatment program for her. We changed my wife’s diet and in two weeks she had lost eight pounds and regained her energy. It was at that point when I knew I could help others with this information. I knew there were books about thyroid and diet but nothing specific for someone with hypothyroidism. So, I called it the Hypothyroid Diet.
2. Your book discusses about helping thyroid sufferers lose weight, beat fatigue and become normal again, can you share with us on how this is done?
It’s all about the system – the thyroid jumpstart. This system shows thyroid suffers how to detox their body from harmful substances that interfere with thyroid hormone production, it shows them how to eliminate food sensitivities, stabilize blood sugar, and what supplements may help.
3. What are the worst trends you currently see in the average American diet that causes hyperthyroidism and how can this be corrected? Does the diet apply to people from all around the world as they might be having other kind of diets and lifestyle?
I see a lot of patients that have food sensitivities which is becoming more and more common. Food sensitivities make HYPOthyroid symptoms worse. Also, there is too much sugar in the diet and Americans are eating the wrong types of fat. If Americans took two foods out of their diet; gluten and dairy most would feel much, much better. The food in our country is different from the food in other countries. Europe has stricter food regulations which keeps processing at a lower level.
4. What makes “The HypoThyroid Diet” different from the a number of weight loss diet in the market?
The Hypothyroid Diet is specific to those with hypothyroidism. There are certain foods that those with hypothyroidism should avoid like goitrogens – these are part of the cruciferous family; broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc. Healthy individuals can eat these veggies without worry.
5. Besides losing weight, what other benefits should a person expect to derive following “The HypoThyroid Diet”?
Gaining energy is another big benefit form the system along with the elimination of digestive upsets, reducing aches/pains, headaches, food cravings and brain fog.
6. Could you share with us on average how much weight does your clients usually lose while following this diet? And what is the ONE thing that helps them to lose weight with “The HypoThyroid Diet”?
It’s hard to say…some lose 4-5 lbs. in the first week, other have lost 30 lbs. in eight weeks, it all depends on the individual. The number one thing that helps them lose weight is eliminating sensitivities.
7. What should a person expect to experience while following this diet? Could you share some of the experiences that your clients gone through with the diet? (if it’s not confidential)
A lot of users start to feel normal again; they gain confidence and energy – which allows them to get back to life and enjoy the things they avoided because of hypothyroidism. Because of this condition most don’t have the energy to make it through their day, but when they get that energy boost they’re able to do more like exercise – which gives them confidence in their appearance.
8. What other health conditions does this diet help prevent or recover?
The number one cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto’s thyroiditis – which is an autoimmune disorder. So, this program would help patients suffering from other autoimmune disorders like lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and hyperthyroidism.
9. Do you have anything specific or advice that you want to say to the readers who are struggling to lose weight to help them shed the fats?
Yes, avoid the common notion of calories in equals calories out. You should NEVER follow a low calorie diet because it lowers thyroid hormone levels by 50%. When you lower thyroid hormone levels by 50% your metabolic rate drops 25-40%! This is the equivalent of 500-600 calories a day. Plus, it takes years to recover from a low calorie diet.
For more information about the “The HypoThyroid Diet” visit their website at http://www.TheHypothyroidDiet.
Leave a Reply