Are you getting ready to wear that swimsuit you bought for summer? Or are you preparing for a wedding and would want to lose some weight fast? Here’s one program wherein you can lose weight as fast as one week without stressing yourself to attend gym sessions, heavy physical activities or worse, resulting to undergoing liposuction. This is with the help of a soup diet.
A soup diet will help you to reduce calorie and fat intake. Although you are removing a lot in your food diet, a soup diet will help you feel full. This diet program lasts for 7 days and is said to make you lose 10 to 15 lbs. There are various types of soup diet that you can choose from. To name a few, there is:
- Cabbage Soup
- Tomato Soup
- Chicken Soup
- Potato Soup
Among all those mentioned soup diets, the cabbage soup diet is more popularly known. This is a weight-loss program wherein the person doing the diet will consume a low-calorie cabbage soup for a week. It is said that cabbage has fat-burning abilities but this is still not scientifically proven. This type of diet is low in fat and high in fiber. Here’s how this is usually done:
- On the first day of the program, you are allowed to eat as much fruits (except banana) and cabbage soups as you want for the day.
- Second day of the diet would usually focus on consumption of raw or cooked vegetables. Again, you can eat as much vegetable as you want, same as with the cabbage soup.
- Third day is the combination of fruit and vegetables with the cabbage soup. Eating bananas is still not allowed for this day.
- By the fourth day of the diet, you may already be craving for something sweet. On this day, you will be allowed to eat all the bananas that you want and drink as much skimmed milk as you wish. This is of course with the cabbage soup for each meal.
- Fifth day would add protein in your diet. Beef and tomatoes are part of the diet for this day. Around 10-20 ounce of beef and six tomatoes can be consumed for the day together with the cabbage soup.
- The sixth day is the day that you will surely love. On this day, you will be allowed to indulge in eating all the beef and vegetables that you want to go with the cabbage soup. Makes you feel fuller than the previous days.
- Lastly, your meal for the day will consist of eating brown rice, vegetable and the cabbage soup.
For all of these days, you are only allowed to drink unsweetened fruit juices and water. It is only on the fourth day that you will be allowed to drink skimmed milk. Just like other soup diets, the main focus of this program is to consume as much soup as we want whenever we feel hungry in between meal times.
Like all other diets, a soup diet also has its own advantages and disadvantages. Before entering this diet program, you must first know its pro’s and cons for you to be able to determine if it will fit you.
Advantages of a soup diet:
- It can change your bad eating habit. Since all of the foods eaten are healthy.
- You can eat all you want from the particular food mentioned on each day of the diet.
- It quickly takes off weight due to the food included in the diet, which promotes health and weight loss.
- This diet is often high in fiber and would help you flush out toxins in your body.
- This diet does not completely remove meat in your diet since you will be allowed to eat beef on the sixth day of the program.
- Soup makes you feel full. Unlike other diet, this program will not let you feel like starving.
Disadvantages of a soup diet:
- The 10-15 lbs weight that you lose is not permanent. This type of diet is not a long-term answer for weight-loss.
- Even if the foods in the diet are healthy, there are still vitamins and minerals not present in the program.
- Eating can become boring. After a few days of soup consumption, you will already lose your appetite in eating your next meal. Most people are not really into eating vegetables, what more if you’ll be eating soup with cabbage for the whole week?
- Some of the soup diet programs are very low in calorie. If the food you take does not meet the required calorie, this could make you feel weak, nauseous, irritable and tired. This could cause the person to also have frequent headaches.
- Cabbage soup diet can cause intestinal discomfort. Like any other food, it is healthy when taken in moderation. Since you will be taking it for a week, this often results to flatulence. Also, if a person chooses to take the cabbage soup diet, it is said that it attacks muscles instead of losing fat and water. In this regard, you might end up losing muscle tissues.
Some individuals and experts believe that it is not fat that the person loses when taking the soup diet but water. This is also the reason why the result does not last that long. If you are just preparing for an event that you want to lose weight, this is the best way to attain that goal. However, if you are looking at a permanent weight-loss, this is not an advisable program for you. You can take this program as starters and then move on to another diet program wherein results are for long-term.
Still, it is recommended that you ask the help of experts prior to undergoing any diet programs. This is to make sure that the program will be fit and effective to you without sacrificing your health.