Denene Wallace has a new cookbook out from Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House. The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking, co-authored with baking authority Peter Reinhart, is a testament to Denene’s ingenuity and tenacity. She started baking goods that would help her manage blood sugar issues after being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and gluten intolerance.
Soon after, she founded Proseed Flour, a business specializing in the production of high-protein/low-carb gluten-free flour. Although at one time, Denene needed five insulin shots a day, these recipes have helped her completely eliminate her need for insulin. Not only are all the recipes extremely low carb, they are high in fiber. For anyone wanting to lose weight these recipes may help in conjunction with a low carb, no sugar diet.
Please check out her website at www.thejoyofgluten-freesugar-
1. Why is the book titled “Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking”?
It is called “The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking” because we want readers to understand how much fun these recipes are to bake. They are very easy to put together and don’t even require a mixer. We use a 2 bowl method – one bowl for the dry ingredients, one bowl for the wet ingredients. Then mix them together and put in prepared pans and bake. Easy very easy.
2. Could you tell us what is the reason why you and Mr. Peter Reinhart write this book?
Because there is no other book like this one. Not only do we focus on gluten-free, but sugar-free and very low carbohydrate. We mainly use nut/seed flours. NO STARCH FLOURS like most every other gluten-free book. We set ourselves apart from all the other gluten-free recipe books already on the market.
3. As your book title is about baking, is it only applicable to those who bakes?
Yes it is a baking cookbook.
4. What are the principles or guidelines that your recipes are based on to help readers get rid of celiac disease, diabetes, and as well as helping to lose weight?
All the recipes are GLUTEN-FREE for those who suffer from gluten intolerance and celiac disease, all the recipes are SUGAR-FREE for those who suffer from diabetes and all the recipes are VERY LOW CARBOHYDRATE for all those who suffer from diabets and have to count carbs and also for those that want to potentially lose weight.
5. Could you share with us what are the way of life or your current way of life that helps weight loss dieters lose weight with the help of your book?
Counting carbohydrates are what help a lot of people lose weight. Since all of our recipes are Net 10 carbs or less (most of our recipes are Net 5 carbs or less) people who follow a low carbohydrate diet will lose weight.
6. What are the worst trends you see with the average American diet that causes obesity and diabetes and why?
Personally I believe it is the convience foods that are loaded in sugar, carbohydrates, starches, etc. that cause weight gain and then diabetes. We eat way to much sugar in this country. I believe people need to get back to the basics and eat closer to the earth. Nut/seed flours do exactly that and as a result I believe it makes us healthier.
7. What makes “The Joy of Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Baking” a great book for readers from a number of different weight loss books in the market?
As I mentioned previously – there is no other gluten-free sugar-free low carbohydrate cookbook on the market like ours.
8. What other benefits should a person expect following the recipes in your book aside from losing weight, celiac disease, and diabetes?
Feeling better, eating better, knowing that you are putting healthy foods into your body.
9. Is the book suitable for everyone?
No – if you have tree nut allergies, then this book is not for you.
9. What are the difficult aspects for a person in losing weight but becomes easy by following your book?
The recipes taste like “the real thing” so no one feels like they are dieting or sacrificing anything. This is not a “diet” book. Losing weight is just a nice side effect of eating a very low carbohydrate diet.
10. Could you share some of the experiences that your clients gone through following the recipes in your book?
I have several friends who are diabetic and eat the recipes from our cookbook all the time and have no rise in their blood sugar. I have several friends who have lost a lot of weight eating recipes from our cookbook. I personally, have gone from 5 insulin shots a day to zero.
11. As there are readers and subscribers who are struggling to lose weight to help them shed the fats, do you have anything specific or advice that you want to say for them?
I have found that a low carbohydrate high fiber diet helps the most to lose weight. That is our entire cookbook. Remember total carbohydrates minus fiber equals Net Carbs. I count carbs for every meal and have maintained my blood sugar levels and have not gained any weight. I eat until I am satisfied, I have at least 3 snacks and day plus 3 full meals (with dessert if I want) But only recipes from our cookbook.
Leave a Reply